background

Friday, June 24, 2011

Sometimes You Gotta Go Off Course.....

I work up this morning at 5am with a strong urge to sit down and write.  Those of you that know me know that I usually do not wake up at 5am I go to bed then.  So I figured it must be important.  For the past 9 months I have been traveling around the country as a NICU nurse....most of you know this.  I love what I do, but when I woke up this morning I couldn't help but think there is something more.  I think I know what that something is....Operation Smile.

These are some pictures of me 30 years ago.....




and this is a picture of a little girl named Brittany from Honduras..


Whats the difference between me and her?  I was born in America! 

Those of you that know me well know that my driving force has always been my heart.  I make most of my decisions based on how it makes me feel.  Some would call this foolish but it has taken me places I could have never dreamed of otherwise.  I want to say once again that I love what I do and that I am very happy doing it, but I used to have this fire that propelled me forward and frankly....I want it back. 

Most of you are probably thinking "what brought this on?"  Well I have been reading the book by Katie Couric  The Best Advice I Ever Got.  It got me thinking.   Am I doing my best?  Most people would look at my life and say she is pretty lucky....I am.  It's because I live a good life that makes me want it to mean something.   I have a job that I can take time off in between jobs to put my knowledge and skills to work and help put a smile on the face of a kid like me....why am I not doing that?   That is the question I woke up with this morning and I just thought I would share it.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is such a great organization. I think you are doing amazing work...can't wait to hear what you decide is your next journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love operation smile! If given the time, resources, and opportunity, I would love to do it. To give back. To make kids smile the smile they were meant to have! You do have one of the best options and ways to do it! If I were you, I'd do it! I mean, why else wake yourself up at 5AM to blog about it?!? You know neither of us is a fan of that hour! ;) xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete