background

Thursday, March 10, 2011

ALL ABOUT MAINE!!

Charla and I are going to depart on another adventure this weekend to the lovely state of Maine.  As I was doing some research I found some wonderful facts about the great state.  I thought I would share them with you.  I have been beginning to look at possible places for me to go to next....Portland ME is on that short list.  I hope I like it!

DID YOU KNOW...
State Capital:  Augusta
State Cat:  Maine Coon Cat
State Nickname:  Pine Tree State
State Fish:  Landlocked Salmon
State Motto:Dirigo ("I lead")
State Insect:  Honeybee
State Bird:  Chickadee
State Tree:  White Pine
State Floral Emblem: White pine cone and tassel
State Animal: Moose
State Fossil:  Pertica quadrifaria
State Gemstone: Tourmaline
State Berry:Wild Blueberry
Maine...

…has 5,500 miles of coastline, and about 2000 islands off the coast.
 
…has the largest wild blueberry crop in the nation, raising 99 percent of all wild blueberries in the United States and is the single largest producer of any blueberries (wild or cultivated) in the US. (Grandma Foster and Evie would get a kick out of this)
 
…is the only state in the continental U.S. to be bordered by only one other state (New Hampshire).
 
…contains 32,000 miles of rivers and streams equal to more than the combined length of the Mississippi, Amazon, Yangtze and Nile rivers.
 
…has over 60 lighthouses.
 
…produces 90% of the country’s toothpick supply.
 
…is where Chester Greenwood invented the earmuffs in 1873.
 
I sure hope you learned something that might help you win the next game of trivia that you play! 

No comments:

Post a Comment